Mokelumne Hill, the richest of the boom towns during the Gold Rush, is conveniently situated in the middle of the California Mother Lode on Historic Highway 49, aka, "The Gold Chain Highway".
In 1853, George W. Leger, an immigrant from Prussia, purchased the Hotel de France established in 1851. This canvas and wooden structure was destroyed in the 1854 fire, replaced by a single-story building of brick and rhyolite with four French doors and four window facing Main Street.
The ballroom at the rear soon hosted socials and benefit gatherings, drawing participants from distant mining camps. By 1858 the hotel’s name had been changed to Hotel de Europe.
After 1866 when the county seat moved to San Andreas, the adjacent two-story stone building housing the courthouse and county government offices was purchased by George and W. P. Peek. In 1874, after Leger’s hotel was once again destroyed by fire, he purchased the neighboring courthouse structure and included it as part of his new two-story Hotel Leger.
This is a very active location and extremely accommodating to its guest. Several hotspots to be exact would be Room 7, a woman crying for her child.In Room 2, and a child playing by the fireplace in Room 3. A former owner of the Hotel Leger describes seeing smoke and fire in the bar area multiple times when no fire was present upon closer inspection.